Wednesday, December 14, 2011

fantasy baking list

Just because I'm not baking (much) this year doesn't mean I can't divulge what I'd love to bake (or make), like, tomorrow!

{1 chocolate covered peanut butter filled ritz crackers} I don't know what it is with me and chocolate covered anything lately, but I just want it and I want it right now. These would be so buttery and sweet with that necessary touch of salt.

{2 sriracha chex mix} Idle Husband loves sriracha. Like, loves it so much, I'm buying a new bottle at the very least once a month. I think we'd both like this a lot. Sweet, spicy, crunchy. It sounds like it hits all of the right notes.

{3 bacon jam} I mentioned this one before, but it's worth mentioning again. Mostly because at least once a weekend we have a conversation about how much bacon is too much bacon. Should we really be eating bacon once a week? Maybe we should cut down to once a month... and then we have that conversation again the next weekend after finishing off (you guessed it) another plate of bacon.

{4 low fat gingerbread cookies} Ok this one I might actually try making. I've made cookies with applesauce in the past and they turned out very cake-like. I'm so curious as to whether these are as true to gingerbread as it seems like they are. {UPDATE: I've since made these and they are fantastic! I found the dough to be extremely easy to work with -- which is rare for me -- the taste was very gingery and the texture was soft and cake-like which worked really well. These are definitely going to be my go-to gingerbread cookies.}

{5 lofthouse-style cookies} I've also mentioned these before, but I just can't get them out of my head. Still. I've also come across these other versions, here, here {UPDATE: I made this version. They don't taste quite like Lofthouse, they're more like a plain sugar cookie (just bigger and softer); but they are still very delicious} and here. Yes, that's right. I'm so obsessed with these cookies, I have four possible recipes to try. And that's saying a lot, isn't it?

{6 macaroons} I love coconut so much, I have it on my muesli every single morning. (And sometimes, I'd eat it out of the bag with my spoon, so now I mix it with nuts and raisins to stop myself from doing that.) These have been haunting my dreams so I bought another bag of coconut with the thought of perhaps making them at some point in the future (but with the thought that I could totally stop myself from making them cuz I'd eventually use the coconut for breakfast anyway). But I do have a carton of egg whites that need to be used up soon, so I might be making these more now than future (there's my grand excuse. I found it).

Other notable recipes:

melomakarona This is a traditional Greek Christmas cookie. It tastes kinda like gingerbread but they take it one step further by soaking it in a sugar syrup (one of two ways with all their desserts, I'm telling you!). I think the parents gave me their recipe, but this one is already online if I don't get around to making their's this year for you.
slow cooker sugared pecans or walnuts I can cook it in the crockpot, so I'm already 90% pro-this recipe.
five ingredient carrot cake I've had this on my list for a while now. Hello, upcoming birthday cake.
no bake chocolate pumpkin pie I'm already a big fan of her recipes. Also, can I take out the chocolate? (also, I'm all over the place aren't I? High fat! Low fat! Unhealthy! Healthy! I can't seem to make up my mind.)

No comments: