Monday, October 26, 2009

Fearsome Farm



On Saturday night, Idle Husband and I decided to check out the Farm of Fear at the Edmonton Corn Maze.  I can honestly say I've never been to a haunted house and neither has IH, so other than being scared, we didn't really know what to expect.


We can finally read the sign and see the entrance! Progress!

First of all, we didn't expect there to be as huge a line as there was. I didn't actually time it (it was dark, I couldn't see my watch), but I think our wait was a good 10-20 minutes long. Also, the temperature was above freezing, but it was also kinda windy which made it pretty chilly. I'll admit that my feet, legs, and arms were quite cold after standing there for only a couple minutes. I saw a lot of adults and children dressed only in hoodies and I don't know how they were surviving. I was really happy I decided to wear my winter coat, touque, scarf, and mittens. They were life-saving.


Pitiful moon shot. Wuh wuhhhh.

The great thing about waiting was taking in the night sky. I didn't realize how much I missed seeing it until that night. The moon was at a perfect crescent and the sky was crystal clear. It was well worth the wait just to be able to see the stars again. I really miss that in the city. City people don't understand the true meaning of darkness, and I think that's a shame.

PHOTO HERE
[inside the haunted house there were strange vignettes we didn't have time to fully appreciate]

I do have a couple of pictures of those scenes from the very beginning of the house, but on second thought, I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I had planned to take photos as much as I could, but I quickly abandoned the camera after getting those two snaps. I thought I would drop it at the next big scare, and I felt too rushed to get good pictures anyway. We managed to get the bulk of the good scares inside the house before we started hearing a group coming up behind us. Not that that should have mattered, but when you're in a haunted house, the actors scaring you then have to reevaluate their scare. Should we jump out to scare these two people, ruining it for the five behind them or jump out and scare five people and get a bigger bang for our scare? Obviously, they chose the latter, so the rest of the haunted house (outside in the corn field) for us was essentially just a walk around shaking corn stalks with people screaming directly behind us.  Awesome.


Corn is spooky. Don't let anyone tell you it's not.

Despite all that, we really did enjoy ourselves. I wish we would have hurried through the house a little bit just to avoid people coming behind us, but that's really hard to do when you're expecting something creepy to happen around every corner. Though that's entirely my fault since Idle Husband spent the majority of the house behind me, pushing me to go through everything first.  I didn't really notice until the halfway point when I had to go through a bunch of plastic screens. Favourite quote from the night: [as high pitched and whiney as you can possibly go]
Why do I have to go first this whole time?! You're the husband!
Anyway, we definitely felt like we got a good scare for our buck, so I'd recommend anyone going if they haven't before. It's on this week starting Wednesday night. I'm sure it's going to be busier since this is halloween week, so if you plan on going, take that (and the weather!) into consideration.

No comments: